Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Social land concessions floated for residents hit by work on Sihanoukville canals




Social land concessions floated for residents hit by work on Sihanoukville canals

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has recommended those whose houses were torn down for encroaching on canals to seek social land concessions from the authorities. Supplied

Social land concessions floated for residents hit by work on Sihanoukville canals

The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has recommended those whose houses were torn down for encroaching on canals to seek social land concessions from the authorities.

Provincial deputy governor Cheav Vichheak told The Post on Tuesday that Sihanoukville has five main canals with a cumulative length of 30km which were set to be restored.

However, 1,090 structures encroached on the canals to varying degrees, of which nearly 300 have been demolished.

“The government and Preah Sihanouk provincial administration alike have recommended residents to apply for social land concessions.

“Provincial governor [Kuoch Chamroeun] will examine the possibility [for a concession] for those whose homes were entirely built on the canal and have no other place to live in, because they are destitute.

“But those who have homes away from the canal – or have secretly expanded their legally obtained land over the canal – will receive no mercy. We will request that their homes be demolished,” said Vichheak.

He said the provincial administration has torn down more than 20 per cent of the offending structures since early last month. Nearly 30 per cent of the five canals have been restored.

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesman Kheang Phearum said the provincial administration demolished the illegal constructions following several warnings.

The owners were ordered to tear them down on their own accord in order to restore the canals and avert flooding during the rainy season, he said, noting last year’s floods which resulted in three deaths and thousands of families affected.

Early last month, the provincial administration issued an ultimatum to residents to dismantle unauthorised constructions by January 23.

It noted that they were affecting the irrigation system and impeding an infrastructure project involving the repaving and upgrading of 34 roads in Sihanoukville.

Cambodian National Research Organisation director Sok Sokhom lauded the move, calling on the provincial governor to remain vigilant over the case.

Those who really need them should be granted land concessions, he said.

“In the past, any amount of rainfall in Sihanoukville would amount to flooding in the city. It was in part caused by the houses and stalls encroaching on the canals and nearby pavements.

“If the provincial administration doesn’t implement the toughest measures to demolish the constructions and restore the canals, when the rainy season comes, it will surely flood the city again,” Sokhom said.

He said the residents had no land titles and that they had built their structures illegally. The authorities demolished them pursuant to the provincial master plan.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped