Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sok Bun arrest warrant issued

Sok Bun arrest warrant issued

Hun Sen talks at an event yesterday, where he called for Sok Bun to turn himself in
Hun Sen talks at an event yesterday, where he called for Sok Bun to turn himself in. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Sok Bun arrest warrant issued

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday issued an arrest warrant for property mogul Sok Bun, more than two weeks after he allegedly savagely beat a former TV hostess in a Phnom Penh restaurant.

Shortly after the warrant was issued, Prime Minister Hun Sen demanded Bun’s quick arrest and suggested he would not be able to buy himself out of trouble.

“Even if you settle outside of court, the prosecution will not end,” he said during a graduation ceremony at the National Institute of Education.

The warrant, signed by municipal court prosecutor Hing Bunthorn and issued by investigative judge Leang Samnath, says Bun has been charged with intentional violence with aggravating circumstances, while his as-yet-unidentified bodyguard faces charges of attempted murder and using a weapon without permission.

The charges relate to an incident at the Higashiyama restaurant in Phnom Penh in the early hours of July 2, when Bun brutally assaulted Ek Socheata, allegedly after she threw a phone while attempting to prevent him from taking advantage of her drunken friend.

Throughout the attack, Bun’s bodyguard can be seen waving a pistol, which at one point he holds to her head. Socheata, who is more widely known by her TV persona Ms Sasa, last week alleged he pulled the trigger but the gun didn’t go off.

While Sasa made a complaint to authorities on the same day as the incident, Bun was not summonsed to court until July 8, a day after security camera footage began circulating on social media and was publicised on national television. That summons stipulated he should appear in court on July 21, though he is now formally wanted for arrest.

On Tuesday, Interior Minister Sar Kheng warned police officers against shielding Bun from justice, suggesting he knew of officials who had been doing just that.

Director of the Interior Ministry’s Penal Police Department Sok Khemrin yesterday said he would be sending the warrant to Interpol.

“We do not know in which country he is, but we do know he [initially] left Phnom Penh for Singapore,” he said.

A letter released late on Tuesday evening, signed by a Dr Mahen Nadarajah of the National Neuroscience Institute in Singapore, claimed that Bun would not be able to travel “for a number of months” due to an unspecified, pre-existing medical condition.

But the National Neuroscience Institute yesterday said that Dr Nadarajah has not been employed by them since December 2014.

While undated, the letter directly refers to Bun having been “asked to travel back to Cambodia”, suggesting it was written since he arrived last week.

Bun himself publicised three letters on Tuesday through his lawyer, Yin Sophy, one of which included an offer of $100,000 in compensation to Sasa. She told the Post at the time that both that offer and a previous one of $40,000 had been rejected.

Sasa is also scheduled to appear in court, having been summonsed to present her evidence on July 27.

But as Sasa will be in Thailand for a medical check-up at that time for injuries sustained during the attack, she is instead expected to appear today, according to her lawyer, Puth Theavy.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY BUTH REAKSMEY KONGKEA

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges