Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sok Bun seeks release

Sok Bun seeks release

Real estate tycoon Sok Bun, charged with the brutal beating of former TV presenter Ek Socheata, poses next to a model of a planned development earlier this year.
Real estate tycoon Sok Bun, charged with the brutal beating of former TV presenter Ek Socheata, poses next to a model of a planned development earlier this year. Photo supplied

Sok Bun seeks release

Real estate tycoon Sok Bun, charged with the brutal bashing of a former TV presenter in July, has applied to leave prison for medical treatment, claiming he is suffering from stress and high blood pressure, his lawyer said yesterday.

Yin Sophy said he had lodged a request to get Bun transferred from Prey Sar’s medical ward to an outside hospital, though investigating judge Leang Samnath had yet to respond.

“He now has hypertension [high blood pressure] and stress, because he’s been thinking so much,” Sophy said.

“I am worried that if he is not properly cared for and is not sent to hospital outside the prison for treatment, his condition will worsen and he will have a stroke.”

Bun’s attack on Ek Socheata, better known as Ms Sasa, shocked the country after footage of it emerged online.

The real estate mogul, who initially fled abroad before returning to face arrest, can be seen kicking and punching the former TV personality, who said she had tried to stop him from taking advantage of her intoxicated friend.

Though the family initially shunned his offers of compensation, Socheata’s lawyer, Put Theavy, said discussions about a “compromise” were ongoing.

Regarding the case, investigating judge Samnath was unreachable yesterday, though a clerk at Phnom Penh Municipal Court, who asked not to be named, said the investigation had yet to be finalized.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Chinese-owned shops are on the rise in central Phnom Penh

    Informal businesses owned by Chinese nationals are on the rise in central Phnom Penh, especially in Tonle Bassac commune, surrounding Koh Pich. Such businesses have sprung up notably in Central Market, Orussey Market, Sovanna Shopping Mall, Rattana Plaza, as well as Kakab commune across from