Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Soldiers charged with land grabbing



Soldiers charged with land grabbing

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Preah Sihanouk provincial military police force arrest men over suspected land grabbing. Photo supplied

Soldiers charged with land grabbing

At least 12 people including four soldiers from two “armed gangs” have been sent to Preah Sihanouk provincial court for their involvement in illegal land grabbing in protected areas in Prey Nop district’s Bit Traing commune.

Deputy provincial court prosecutor Kieng Suntharo declined to provide details on Wednesday, saying only that the first group of seven people have been put in pre-trial detention while the other group of four soldiers is being detained for questioning.

District police chief Huor Yai said the two armed gangs had been hired to guard land grabbed illegally by “powerful individuals”.

He said the four soldiers, who claimed to have held land titles since 1999, were arrested on Monday after they backed vehicles used to clear forest in the area. Yai said however that all land titles have been annulled since the area was designated a protected forest cover in 2002.

The four soldiers were identified as Norn Kim Chheng, 48, Nuon Han, 43, Sin Rotha, 36, and Sam Kamsan, 65.

Yai said that some powerful people have continued to use invalid titles to claim land in the area, prompting provincial governor Yun Min to order a crackdown.

The governor told The Post on Wednesday that provincial authorities will take tough measures against land grabbing, which he said has become a chronic issue in the province.

“I have enforced the law by taking action against the perpetrators. On Monday we handled one case and the next day we arrested four more people."

“Some people know nothing [about the law] and use force to abuse innocent people. Not only do they mistreat the people, they even dare to abuse authorities."

“When for instance local authorities make a field visit as part of their duty, they look down on them. So we’ll have to strictly enforce the law,” Min said.

Sun Sophat, a community land representative in the province , said land grabbing involving private companies and powerful people in Prey Nub district’s protected area has continued unabated.

“Land clearing in Prey Nub protected area is mostly done by rich and powerful people."

“They clear the land with [corrupt] Forestry Administration officials behind their back."

“Only the Forestry Administration can verify when or how long people have settled down in the area,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting