Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Son Chhay request on Sesan dam passed on




Son Chhay request on Sesan dam passed on

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CNRP lawmaker Son Chhay meets with villagers affected by the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam last month. Photo supplied

Son Chhay request on Sesan dam passed on

After blocking several letters from opposition lawmaker Son Chhay to Mines Minister Suy Sem in recent months, National Assembly President Heng Samrin has forwarded a new missive asking the minister to find solutions for villagers affected by Stung Treng’s Lower Sesan II hydropower dam project.

In recent months, Samrin had blocked multiple inquiries from the Cambodia National Rescue Party chief whip to Sem, although neither the constitution nor the internal regulations of the National Assembly give him authority to deny forwarding request to government officials from lawmakers.

Leng Peng Long, spokesman for the National Assembly, yesterday confirmed that Chhay’s letter, dated August 31, had been signed and sent to the Ministry of Mines and Energy on Wendesday. Chhay, in his letter, requests that the ministry find a solution for villagers in Kbal Romeas and Srekor villages who have been affected by the dam but have refused to relocate. He also requests documents related to the project.

“Previous letters were not sent by Samdech [because they were] calling for the minister to be questioned” at the National Assembly, Peng Long said.

An inquiry by Chhay in August to Sem in which the opposition lawmaker asked for more information on sand dredging was also blocked by Samrin.

Chhay and Yos Monirath, spokesman for the Ministry of Mines and Energy, could not be reached for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

    Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps on Monday despite criticism from former members of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that the Kingdom is losing land in the deal. The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving