Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Son Sann strives for the right to hold his congress



Son Sann strives for the right to hold his congress

Son Sann strives for the right to hold his congress

S ON Sann's Buddhist Liberal Democratic Party (BLDP) faction is pressing ahead

with its planned Oct 1 congress, but the official line on whether it can be held

remains unclear.

Co-Minister of Interior You Hockry said Sept 19 that he

would not allow the congress unless BLDP was reunited as one party.

But

Sann loyalist Kem Sokha claimed that Hockry had earlier given approval for the

congress, as had fellow Minister of Interior Sar Kheng.

Sokha said Hockry

had given Ministry of Interior permission for the congress in a Sept 18 letter

to Sann.

But Hockry told the Post the next day that he had only written

that the congress could proceed if BLDP settled its internal

conflict.

"In principle one party can hold only one congress," Hockry

said, referring to rival BLDP leader Ieng Mouly's own congress on July

9.

Kem Sokha said Sar Kheng would be asked to confirm his approval for

Sann's congress. Kheng could not be contacted for comment at press

time.

Sann and his supporters say Mouly's congress - which elected him

BLDP president and led to the expulsions of Sann, Sokha and four others - was

illegal. Mouly in return says Sann's congress would be illegal.

The

legality of Sann's congress was expected to go before the Council of Ministers,

after Second Prime Minister Hun Sen expressed concern to First Prime Minister

Prince Norodom Ranariddh about possible security problems.

Mouly,

meanwhile, has rejected any suggestion he attend the Sann congress, also

referring to the prospect of violence.

Mouly said if he and Son Sann took

their supporters to the congress, people might " make each other angry and this

might lead to fighting."

Even if each other's supporters behaved, there

could be "bad elements from outside who want to...create some

problems?

"They may throw three hand grenades and then they can accuse

me, they can accuse the government [of involvement]."

Mouly alleged that

Son Sann had been offering rice to attract people to his congress, and also

offering people jobs in the government.

He said that Sann's officials had

been showing a "falsified" letter from the Council of Ministers agreeing to

accept 10,000 BLDP supporters into the civil service.

Denying reports

that he had threatened that Sann supporters would be arrested if they went to

the Oct 1 congress, Mouly said he had only meant that people who used the fake

letter should be arrested.

Sokha denied Mouly's accusation, saying that

16,000 people had already registered for the congress and Sann did not need to

attract more.

On the fake letter, Sokha said it was maliciously sent to

Sann's office. It was found not to be genuine, and nobody was pretending

otherwise.

Sokha said the Oct 1 congress would elect a new BLDP board of

directors and president. Mouly was invited to attend, and the issue of reuniting

the party would be discussed.

Pol Ham - one of the BLDP MPs Mouly's

faction have voted to expel from the party - said Sann's congress had been

planned for more than a year and was legal.

Ham, who said he was neither

a Sann nor Mouly supporter, said he felt BLDP was being used by Funcinpec and

CPP.

"I think they intentionally divide BLDP so they can get a pretext to

sack opposition MPs from Parliament. It's a kind of coup d'état."

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a