Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Son Soubert drops lawsuit

Son Soubert drops lawsuit

Son Soubert drops lawsuit

Former Constitutional Council member Son Soubert says he will drop a lawsuit against Bayon TV’s Soy Sopheap after the popular news anchor apologised for allegedly defamatory comments made about Son Soubert’s father, the late resistance leader Son Sann.

Son Soubert announced plans to sue Soy Sopheap in February after Soy Sopheap allegedly said Son Sann had sold land near Preah Vihear temple to Thailand in cooperation with coalition partner and former Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan.

Son Sann formerly led the right-wing Khmer People’s National Liberation Front, founded in 1978.

In June 1982, he entered into a coalition – the Coalition Government of Democratic Kampuchea – with the royalist Funcinpec and remnants of the Khmer Rouge, an association that still prompts controversy.

Soy Sopheap said he had made a correction and offered an apology to Son Soubert for his previous statements during a Bayon broadcast last Wednesday. Soy Sopheap was questioned in Phnom Penh Municipal Court last week in relation to Son Soubert’s defamation allegations.

“I am happy that His Excellency Son Soubert has accepted my apologies and has decided to withdraw his complaint against me,” Soy Sopheap said.

“I think that from now on, we can be friends as a journalist and a politician working to promote democracy and development in our country.”

Son Soubert said yesterday that Soy Sopheap had “complied with what we requested him to do, so we have no more grudge”.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JAMES O’TOOLE

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • Bun Heang mocks US, threatens its citizens in scathing open letter

    After being hit with sanctions from the US Department of Treasury, Cambodian General Hing Bun Heang said he would retaliate against any US national who does not respect his country’s sovereignty, has ambitions to invade Cambodia or incites “traitors” in the Kingdom to do

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,