Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sonando vows to go ahead with protest




Sonando vows to go ahead with protest

Mam Sonando, owner of Beehive Radio, talks during International Women’s Day in Phnom Penh earlier this month
Mam Sonando, owner of Beehive Radio, talks during International Women’s Day in Phnom Penh earlier this month. Heng Chivoan

Sonando vows to go ahead with protest

Beehive Radio owner Mam Sonando yesterday promised to once again defy Phnom Penh Municipal Hall and go ahead with an unsanctioned March 31 protest against the Ministry of Information’s refusal to give him a television licence and more relay frequencies to extend the reach of his radio network.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche said yesterday that permission for the protest had been denied because authorities were still looking into the cause of violence breaking out at recent demonstrations, a rationale that Sonando dismissed as pure “pretext”.

“The authorities use the same pretext to refuse us our rights, including the right to get real information about the goings-on in society and the world,” Sonando said. “Will we keep living without our rights like this?”
Sonando went on to say that he would go ahead with a March 31 demonstration “for [people’s] rights and freedom since they do not want to live under the dictatorial government pressure anymore”.

However, City Hall’s Dimanche said that Sonando and his supporters would face “administrative measures” if they went ahead with the protest.

“We asked them to wait until the investigation procedures on the incidents in the previous demonstrations is finished and the results are released, then we will let them gather and set up a demonstration at the Freedom Park,” he said.

Sonando’s last rally against the Ministry of Information in January was ended when a column of military police and untrained Daun Penh district security guards charged peaceful protesters, beating participants and observers with batons.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • Passing the test: Is Cambodia’s education system failing its people?

    The Kingdom’s education system needs to grow its people but some flaws might stifle​ this growth Coming from the Khmer Rouge occupation, with the loss of many scholars and academicians and a collapsed government, the education system had to be reconstructed from scratch – one

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia