Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - South Korea donates medical supplies to fight Covid

South Korea donates medical supplies to fight Covid

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
South Korean ambassador Park Heung-kyeong (left) meets Soeung Rathchavy, secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in Phnom Penh on May 5. Photo supplied

South Korea donates medical supplies to fight Covid

The South Korean government donated another round of medical supplies worth $300,000 to the Cambodian government to support its fight against Covid-19, according to a press release by the South Korean embassy in Cambodia.

The grant package was discussed in a meeting between South Korean ambassador Park Heung-kyeong and Soeung Rathchavy, secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation in Phnom Penh on May 5.

Rathchavy highly appreciated the donations, conveying gratitude to the government and people of South Korea in providing assistance to Cambodia at this critical juncture.

“As a friend and valuable partner, South Korea has helped Cambodia to overcome the Covid-19 pandemic. With a strong belief that no one is safe until everyone is safe, we will continue to work together closely in solidarity to defeat the coronavirus,” Park said.

After the outbreak of Covid-19 early last year, the South Korean government donated $200,000 and test kits worth $100,000 to Cambodia in May 2020, according to the press release.

South Korea has also assisted Cambodia in the battle against the pandemic through various initiatives such as $1 million to its Covid-19 response assistance programme and support for vulnerable people in Phnom Penh, Kampong Speu, Kratie, Oddar Meanchey, Battambang and Siem Reap.

The assistance programme also extends to cooperation with the International Organisation for Migration on “Strengthen Covid-19 Response to Returning Migrants in Cambodia at Point of Entry and Quarantine Centre” in Batambang, Banteay Meanchey, Oddar Meanchey, Siem Reap, and Prey Veng provinces, according to the press release.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy