Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Special police unit fighting KR in Battambang

Special police unit fighting KR in Battambang

Special police unit fighting KR in Battambang

P OLICE officers have been called in to help Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF)

troops to try to thwart continuing Khmer Rouge attacks around Battambang

province.

More than 1000 policemen, along with 300 RCAF soldiers, have

formed a special unit to KR attacks around the province.

Battambang

police commander general Van Chhunly, who is leading the operation, said five

helicopter gunships were being used by the unit.

He described their work

as "mopping up" pockets of rebel forces and said it would continue "until they

have disappeared". It was the first time that policemen had been used in such a

way in Battambang.

Gen Chhunly said the unit had launched several

offensives against KR guerrillas, including one at a temporary rebel base Kam

Rieng in Sangke district About 150 guerillas believed to be at the base retained

control of it during the fighting.

Two days later, his unit attacked KR

groups in Mong Rossei district, 45km southeast of Battambang town.

The

general said KR hit-and-run attacks on villages and communes in remote areas of

the province-particularly the Sangke, Banan, Ek Phnom, Mong Rossei, Bavel,

Rattanak Mondul and Battambang districts-continued early this month.

On

Feb 13, two children were killed when KR attacked three villages in Kampong

Preang commune, about 30km east of Battambang town. Eight houses and a school

were razed by the KR, he said.

Six days earlier, Prey Svay and Kdol Tahen

villages in Bavel district came under attack, along with a local camp of

internally-displaced people.

Two civilians died in the raid and 11

guerrillas were later killed by an RCAF counter-attack.

On Feb 10, two

villages in Battambang district were flattened by rebels after they looted

property.

One Feb 12, Khmer Rouge guerrillas attack Rossei Krang commune,

about 65 km south from Battambang town burning down 16 houses, a four room

primary school and a six room high school.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not