Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Specialists remove underwater UXO

Specialists remove underwater UXO

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Special forces removed UXO from warships which sunk in Kampong Cham province’s Srei Santhor’s district during the civil war. Photo supplied

Specialists remove underwater UXO

Specialists from the National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces, Mines and Explosive Remnants of War Clearance (NPMEC), in cooperation with the army’s Special Forces Command (SFC), have conducted underwater operations to extract munitions from warships which sank in Kampong Cham province’s Srei Santhor district during the 1970-1975 civil war.

A total of 912 pieces of unexploded ordnance (UXO) have been found.

In a meeting to update progress on January 14, Neang Phat – permanent secretary of state at the Ministry of National Defence and chief of operations in the collection of UXO – said that over the past three months, troops had found and removed shells from underwater and in the villages surrounding the operation area.

He added that the UXO were stored in a safe location away from downtown and under 24-hour guard. The cooperative project is set to continue with a scheduled completion date in early May prior to the rainy season.

Phat explained that government regulations issued on September 30 last year instructed the NPMEC and SFC to form a 55-member unit to implement searches of sunken warships. They have already cleared tonnes of UXO remaining from the war.

Recovery efforts have divided the 150ha within the search perimeter into three zones, labelled as areas of high, medium and low risk.

Major General Mey Sophea, Commander of the UXO Clearance Unit of the NPMEC, said specialists have been working to remove ammunition from two sunken ships, weighing 100 and 200 tonnes, respectively. He noted that the smaller ship had been partly salvaged by local residents who had raided it for scrap metal.

“It is difficult and very dangerous to extract those munitions. The task has required many tools and skills. The ships are in 30m deep water. The shells are now highly reactive and can cause injury when handled,” he said.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive on August 30 last year to form a research group for the clearance of UXO leftover from the civil war.

MOST VIEWED

  • Restrictions re-imposed in capital as Covid cases surge

    Amid the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has shown no sign of subsiding with 750 infections and 10 deaths reported on June 2 alone, the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has decided to re-impose the suspension of all occupations and business activities deemed as posing high risk of

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway 51% complete

    The construction of the nearly $2 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway is 51.35 per cent complete and is expected to be finished in 2023, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of state Vasim Sorya. Invested in by Cambodian PPSHV Expressway Co Ltd, the first expressway in

  • With herd immunity likely in 2022, is Cambodia ready to reopen for tourism?

    The government aims to inoculate 80 per cent of the target population by June next year, giving it a head start among regional peers to reboot the sector but first, it has to do a few things to up its game A sign on a glass

  • First 7-Eleven store to open mid-June, ambassador says

    Thai retail conglomerate CP All Pcl will open Cambodia’s first 7-Eleven convenience store in mid-June, Cambodian ambassador to Thailand Ouk Sorphorn told The Post on June 1. The Bangkok-listed 7-Eleven franchise operator, the retail arm of Charoen Pokphand Group Co Ltd, granted CP All (Cambodia)

  • US wants 'full access' to Ream Naval Base

    On June 11, the US embassy's Defense Attaché Colonel Marcus M Ferrara visited Ream Nava Base in coordination with Cambodian officials following the recent approval of Prime minister Hun Sen to allay the concerns on Chinese military presence at the base as raised by US Deputy

  • US embassy guard gets Covid despite two doses of Pfizer jab

    The Covid-19 tracking commission on June 4 said a security guard at the US embassy in Phnom Penh had contracted the novel coronavirus, despite having received a second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot two weeks ago. Embassy spokesperson Chad Roedemeier confirmed the SARS-CoV-2 infection to The