Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Spying case against Ricketson delayed

Spying case against Ricketson delayed

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australian filmmaker James Ricketson is seen at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday. Pha Lina

Spying case against Ricketson delayed

The hearing on the espionage case against Australian filmmaker James Ricketson was postponed again on Monday at the request of the defendant and his legal team.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court delayed the trial late last month after Ricketson’s lawyer asked for a continuance.

At Monday’s hearing, Ricketson was accompanied by a new legal team – Kong Sam Onn and Peung Yok Hiep. He and his attorneys requested another delay, citing the need to study a 400-page evidentiary document that was only recently received.

Sam Onn provided two reasons for the delay.

“I requested a delay because I was just hired by my client and haven’t studied the case clearly and the 400-pages of evidence. Secondly, I need to meet with my client at the prison to discuss the case further,” he said.

Ricketson agreed with his lawyers.

“I just got the evidence document of more than 400 pages and I haven’t read it all. I cannot defend myself before I have read it. I have been in jail for more than a year and just received this evidence. So, I agree with the delay,” he said.

The 69-year-old filmmaker was arrested in June last year after he was seen flying a drone over a CNRP rally in Phnom Penh. He was charged with the “act of collecting information which may undermine national defence”, running afoul of Article 446 of the Criminal Code. If found guilty, Ricketson faces 10 years in prison.

Presiding Judge Seng Leang, after a short deliberation, approved the defendant’s request and set the new trial date for August 16.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges