Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Staff at Cintri sanitation set for strike

Staff at Cintri sanitation set for strike

Staff at Cintri sanitation set for strike

WORKERS for the garbage collection company Cintri are prepared to go on strike next week unless the company agrees to their demands, the trade union representing the workers said Thursday.

"We plan to go on strike if the results of the negotiations do not result in the company meeting our requests," said Mom Sarorn, president of trade union Tufikel, which threatened a similar strike last week.

Mom Sarorn said the strike threat was sparked when Cintri transferred two workers to Kampong Som because they criticised the company. The two men are returning to Phnom Penh next week, even though they have been told to stay at their new post.

"We plan to go on strike when the two activists return from Kampong Som [next week]," Mom Sarorn said. "On their arrival, if the company suddenly decides to fire them, then we will immediately go on strike."

Many workers were dissatisfied long before the incident with the two workers, Mom Sarorn said, adding that Cintri does not provide safe working conditions or fair wages.

"The company must properly equip all labourers with face masks, long neck boots, raincoats, and it needs to pay 30 percent more to night-shift workers instead of just 10 percent at the moment," he said.

Tufikel officials warned last Friday that Cintri workers were prepared to strike, but City Hall requested to act as a mediator between the company and the union, and the strike plans were cancelled.

But because the two sides could not reach an agreement, Tufikel has said that a strike is back on the table.

"City Hall and their committee of mediators has decided that the company is right, so I have nothing to negotiate with them about," Seng Chamroeun, Cintri's deputy director, told the Post Thursday.

Cintri employs between 1,300 and 1,400 people, Seng Chamroeun said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s