Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - State queries union leaders about threats

State queries union leaders about threats

State queries union leaders about threats

OFFICIALS at the Interior Ministry yesterday questioned three labour leaders as part of an ongoing investigation into reports that they were threatened because of their involvement in last week’s large-scale garment strikes, officials said.

Chhay Sinarith, director of the Internal Security Department at the ministry, said yesterday that officials launched the investigation last week to identify two anonymous callers who had threatened Ath Thun, the head of the Cambodian Labour Confederation.

He said the first call came on August 28, less than two weeks after Ath Thun announced that more than 60,000 garment factory workers would strike in response to a July decision that set the industry minimum wage at US$61 per month.

He said one caller had told a colleague of Ath Thun’s to “tell your boss, don’t be so strong”, and had also threatened that the union leader would be arrested if he followed through on plans to organise the strikes.

Chhay Sinarith declined to name the CLC member who received the messages.

He said the calls had come from a private number, and that the ministry had not yet identified any suspects.

“I am searching with the phone company to find out the number and name of the callers who threatened Ath Thun’s colleague,” he said. “I will summon Ath Thun and his colleague who got called for questioning again.”

Ath Thun yesterday confirmed that he and two other labour leaders had spoken with officials at the Interior Ministry, but declined to comment further on the threats he received, citing the ongoing investigation.

The other two union leaders present were Mom Nhim, president of the National Independent Federation Textile Union of Cambodia, and Moeun Tola, head of the labour programme at the Community Legal Education Centre.

Mom Nhim said she had received threats via SMS text message, and that all three labour leaders had been harassed and followed by unidentified men on motorbikes during last week’s strikes.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman