Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stranded 400-tonne sand barge towed away from bridge base



Stranded 400-tonne sand barge towed away from bridge base

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Phnom Penh municipal authorities have successfully removed a 400-tonne sand barge which had been left stranded at the base of the Prek Tamak Bridge since September 8. MINISTRY OF PUBLIC WORKS AND TRANSPORT

Stranded 400-tonne sand barge towed away from bridge base

The Phnom Penh municipal authorities on Monday successfully removed the 400-tonne sand barge that had been left stranded at the base of the Prek Tamak Bridge since September 8.

The sand barge was moving down the Mekong River when its engine broke down, and it was swept by strong currents towards the bridge. No one was injured in the incident.

Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Kong Vimean told The Post on Monday that after weeks of repeated attempts to remove the barge, a technical team comprising of Cambodian and Chinese officials pumped the remaining sand and water in it and used another barge to tow it away when the current subsided.

“We have done this work very attentively. We had delayed our operations for five to six days because the current was very strong. We were able to continue the operation after the current subsided,” he said.

Vimean said the incident had not caused any damage to the bridge’s pillars as a large amount of sand had been pumped out from the barge after it got stranded.

“It had no effects on any parts of the bridge. The authorities will decide if any measure will be taken against the barge owner,” he said.

Vimean said while the ministry will take measures to prevent such an incident in future, he called on operators of ships and sand barges to exercise extra caution when moving past the bridge.

He said the ministry will deploy buoys and warning signs at some points of the river as a precaution.

Chan Na, the sand barge owner, expressed regret over the accident on Monday, saying he would follow the ministry’s guidelines.

“The sand barge only sustained little damage. We have towed it away to the port. The authorities have not imposed any fines because the barge did not severely affect the bridge,” he said.

Ung Dipola, the deputy director-general of the Ministry of Mines and Energy’s general department of mineral resources, told The Post on Monday the ministry had also taken part in the operation.

“We have helped with technical support and worked with sand dredging experts to pull out the barge.

“Chan Na is a trader who only transports and distributes sand but is not a sand mining operator. He buys sand from [firms] that have a licence to dredge sand and transports or sells it to others.

After the incident, he said, the ministry instructed all traders to strictly obey maritime traffic law.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Woman seeks answers after arrest of American partner

    Filipina Lalaine de Guzman, 48, is demanding answers for the detention of her American partner by Cambodian immigration officers after he was arrested at their home almost 90 days ago. She said without an arrest warrant or proffering any criminal charges, Stephen Sidney Greatsinger, 56, is being detained