Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Street blocked

Street blocked

Street blocked

Roadblocks remain on Sothea-ros Boulevard south of the National Assembly and in

front of the main gate of the Royal Palace despite police insistence that they had

been removed.

The Chief Inspector of Phnom Penh Municipal Police, Suon Chheangly, told the Post

he had ordered the roadblocks removed on June 19.

The road was blocked on June 12 after confrontations between police and Sam Rainsy

Party supporters over the removal of the stupa across from the National Assembly.

Cheangly also declared that the area across from the National Assembly, long a magnet

for demonstrations, would remain a no-go zone for both memorial stupas and squatting

protesters.

"People have the right to protest outside the National Assembly, but only for

one or two hours," he said. "People will no longer be allowed to live in

the park."

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.

  • PM: Programme to recover Vietnam War missing back on

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced the resumption of the MIA programme to recover the remains of American service personnel missing after action on Cambodian soil during the Vietnam War. The programme was suspended for more than a year after the US government imposed visa