Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strike, layoffs at garment factory called off after negotiations

Strike, layoffs at garment factory called off after negotiations

Union rep Soth Chet addresses protesting workers outside the Global Apparels Limited garment factory over the weekend. Photo supplied
Union rep Soth Chet addresses protesting workers outside the Global Apparels Limited garment factory over the weekend. Photo supplied

Strike, layoffs at garment factory called off after negotiations

Following three days of strike action, the majority of the 100 workers recently let go from Malaysian-owned Global Apparels Limited garment factory returned to work on Saturday, after the Ministry of Labour stepped in to mediate the dispute.

On Friday, the workers – who were released after the company decided not to renew their fixed-term contracts – took their protest to the Ministry of Labour, who called a meeting with the factory’s owners and workers representatives, according to a ministry statement.

Eighty-seven workers are to be reinstated as they had been working at the factory for at least two years – the duration at which workers are legally entitled to severance for their services.

“The company and worker representatives agreed with each other over the negotiations at the Ministry of Labour,” the statement reads, adding that “the workers promise to stop protesting and to come back to work on 27 February”.

Furthermore, the company has backed down on its recent announcement that it would be laying off 500 more employees before April, according to the ministry’s statement.

Soth Chet, an official from the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, who attended the ministry’s meeting, said that some workers let go had been at the factory for as long as 10 years. Global Apparels could not be reached yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said