Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Student denies test bribe accusation

Student denies test bribe accusation

The conflicting test certificates at the heart of the bribery dispute.
The conflicting test certificates at the heart of the bribery dispute. Photo supplied

Student denies test bribe accusation

The former Battambang High School student who a local news website claimed earlier this week bribed education officials to secure a passing exam grade said yesterday that the certificate the website published is not his.

The student, Sat Sereibot, provided a copy of what he maintains is the genuine certificate, but confusion over the dates the two documents were issued on promises to raise more questions than answers.

“Authorities have to find and interrogate the student who actually bribed officials to dig out the truth and uphold the reputation and dignity of mine and my family’s, including Chhorn Chheang, whose role was twisted by the media,” he said, referring to one of the provincial education officials he was accused of bribing.

Cheang has denied the allegations made against him.

The certificate provided yesterday by Sereibot was issued on November 21, 2014, and bears what Sereibot says is his photograph and shows that he failed exam.

The certificate published on the news website was issued months before, on September 1, and carries a photograph of a different boy, and says the candidate passed.

However, many of the other details on the September certificate, including the boy’s name and family details, are the same as those on the version Sereibot says is genuine.

Sereibot has denied any involvement in bribery.

Education Ministry spokesman Ros Salin said that the committee created to investigate this case was collecting evidence and seeking to verify the various documents.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a