Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng authorities examine seized timber




Stung Treng authorities examine seized timber

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Two trucks suspected of transporting unauthorised high-grade woods have been intercepted in Stung Treng province. FRESH NEWS

Stung Treng authorities examine seized timber

Joint forces in Strung Treng province conducted an examination into impounded timber on Thursday after provincial Military Police personnel intercepted two heavy trucks on Tuesday which belonged to a Chinese firm suspected of transporting unauthorised high-grade woods.

Fresh News reported that they were coming from Siem Pang district and halted in Samaki commune.

Leang Seng, the director of the province’s Department of Agriculture, on Thursday said the trucks had transported the timber with a permission letter which he signed on Tuesday.

However, he noted that there had been cases where the contents of transported goods did not match what was specified in the letter.

“The investigation is executed in accordance with the proper procedures. The company has a permit to transport timber, but there can be a conflict between the specifications of woods it carried and what is stated in the letter,” he said.

The letter, seen by The Post on Thursday, allows the trucks to transport over 35 cubic metres from the firm’s sawmill to Preah Sihanouk province.

Leang Seng said the timbers are made of first-grade and second-grade woods, while some others are of low-quality ones.

Seng continued that there had been internal conflicts within the company, resulting in the submissions of lawsuits.

The company had also been authorised by the government to replant the forest, he said.

The commander of the provincial Military Police Oeung Vandy declined to comment.

Hou Sam Ol, Stung Treng provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, identified the firm as Siemon (Cambodia) Agricultural Comprehensive Development Co Ltd but was unaware of further details.

The little-known Chinese company invested $200 million last year in a massive timber plantation in Stung Treng that the government has equated to “replanting the forest”.

The scheme, backed by the provincial government, involved replanting nearly 27,000ha of purportedly “degraded” forestland in Siem Pang district with fast-growing acacia and eucalyptus trees.

The authorities billed the project as an eco-friendly way to restore forestland that was felled by a previous owner, Green Sea Agriculture Co Ltd, owned by Mong Reththy.

Separately, Pursat province’s Military Police personnel carried out a clampdown on illegal logging and transportation of unauthorised forest products on Tuesday.

The unit wrote on Facebook on Thursday saying that the operation saw 150 planks of woods equivalent to 6,537 cubic metres confiscated but the individual responsible for the act managed to flee.

The evidence was handed to the provincial Fisheries Administration for further legal procedures, they said.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.