Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site



Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site

A sand dredging operation (pictured) was shut down on Friday at the Sesan River in Stung Treng’s Sesan district. ANN
A sand dredging operation (pictured) was shut down on Friday at the Sesan River in Stung Treng’s Sesan district. ANN

Stung Treng officials crack down on dredging site

Stung Treng provincial authorities on Friday shut down an illegal sand dredging operation on the Sesan River and confiscated equipment after having warned the company to cease operations since December, officials said yesterday.

Kim Hong San, provincial court spokesman, said officials from the provincial Department of Environment, Department of Mines and Energy and the court cracked down on the business in Sesan district, though the owner could not be found at the site. A pumping machine and hoses were seized.

“We asked the villagers living in the area, and they said the sand extraction [had] operated [for] over one year without a licence or any permit documents,” he said. Villagers had complained to authorities about the negative environmental effects and the noise from the operation, he added.

Court spokesman Hong San said multiple people were involved, but that he did not to remember their names.

Nou Sovannara, director of the provincial Department of Mines and Energy, identified one of the suspects involved as Nil Channov. Sovannara said he used to have a licence, and had been instructed to apply to have it renewed, which never happened.

“We inspected the operation and made a letter, [with him] promising [that he would] stop the operation, but they are stubborn,” he said, adding the business had been placed on the “black list” and cannot apply for a licence for up to three years.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.