Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng prepares for bridge dismantling




Stung Treng prepares for bridge dismantling

Villagers protest last month against authorities for attempting to dismantle the Sre Pok Bridge ahead of a test run of the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province.
Villagers protest last month against authorities for attempting to dismantle the Sre Pok Bridge ahead of a test run of the Lower Sesan II hydropower dam in Stung Treng province. Photo supplied

Stung Treng prepares for bridge dismantling

Stung Treng provincial authorities have vowed to demolish the Sre Pok Bridge ahead of the testing of the Lower Sesan II dam – which will submerge a number of villages – and warned that police will be deployed should villagers protest.

Provincial Deputy Governor Duong Pov yesterday visited a village in Kbal Romea commune, one of two communities refusing to relocate to resettlement sites, to explain to villagers about the coming flood and the need to dismantle the bridge, provincial hall spokesman Men Kong said.

“We want the villagers to work together to demolish the bridge because it will be flooded,” Kong said.

Kong added that some villagers are unconvinced there was a need to dismantle the bridge.

According to Pov, the bridge will be dismantled this week. “We must do it by this week and will employ forces if there is a protest,” Pov explained. “We will not arrest them if they don’t do anything beyond what the law permits.”

According to Pov, the construction of the bridge had cost the government almost $1 million, and the materials will be used to build other bridges after its demolition.

Dam Samnang, a representative for Kbal Romea, said a protest was likely if the bridge, which is on the main route to the provincial capital for the villagers, was to be dismantled.

“The bridge is very important to use for crossing every day,” Samnang said. “The authorities should erect another one to replace it before demolishing.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Cambodia, Vietnam exchange border maps amid criticism

    Cambodia and Vietnam formally exchanged border maps on Monday despite criticism from former members of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that the Kingdom is losing land in the deal. The two countries said agreement on the border is 84 per cent complete, leaving