Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng villagers seek intervention on dam

Stung Treng villagers seek intervention on dam

Opposition lawmaker Son Chhay (centre) speaks to villagers affected by the Lower Sesan II dam yesterday at CNRP headquarters.
Opposition lawmaker Son Chhay (centre) speaks to villagers affected by the Lower Sesan II dam yesterday at CNRP headquarters. Facebook

Stung Treng villagers seek intervention on dam

Villagers representing some 700 community members will petition the Ministry of Mines and Energy today, asking them not to use Stung Treng province’s Lower Sesan II dam at full capacity.

Representatives from the ethnically Phnong village of Kbal Romeas and from the ethnically Lao village of Srekor will today seek government intervention to oblige the Hydro Power Lower Sesan 2 Company to operate only eight of its 10 gates in an effort to prevent their homes from becoming submerged next month.

“We do not stop the development, but if the company closes only its eight gates, our villages will not be so deluged, so we can live at our homes,” Kbal Romeas villager Lat Vibol said.

He said last month during the technical test of the dam, eight gates had been closed, filling the reservoir, which left parts of the Srekor village 1 metre underwater. Nonetheless, he said villagers could still remain in the area at those levels.

Company representative Chhay Meng said he was not an expert on the impact of the dam gates and referred questions to the Ministry of Mines and Energy, who could not be reached yesterday.

Seven community representatives also went to meet with Cambodia National Rescue Party lawmaker Son Chhay at the National Assembly yesterday, but when only two were permitted entry, they were forced to meet at party headquarters instead.

“We told him about the [negative] effects from the dam project, so that he could intervene,” Vibol said, adding Chhay had been invited to visit the dam site.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges