Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sub-decree could back evicted villagers’ claims

Sub-decree could back evicted villagers’ claims

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kuoy families from Preah Vihear protest their evictions at the capital’s OHCHR yesterday. Photo supplied

Sub-decree could back evicted villagers’ claims

A little-publicized sub-decree signed in July and discovered by the Post yesterday in an NGO database raises questions as to whether the eviction on Saturday of six ethnic Kuoy families in Preah Vihear was in contravention of an order by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

On Saturday, provincial police, military police and Forestry Administration officials carried out what eyewitnesses have described as a violent eviction of six families from Bos Thom village in Tbeng Meanchey district’s Brame commune. The village sits in the middle of five economic land concessions held by subsidiaries of Chinese sugar manufacturer Rui Feng.

The evictions, however, appear to be in contravention of Sub-Decree 154, signed by Hun Sen on July 18, ordering that several hundred hectares be returned to the state by Rui Feng subsidiary Lan Feng to be allocated to ethnic Kuoy families living in Bos Thom and Sre Peng villages.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said yesterday that if the sub-decree indeed invovled the six families’ land, unless an overriding sub-decree had been issued subsequently, those responsible for the evictions could find themselves in jail.

“Whoever abused the sub-decree would be jailed; I just want to make sure that this sub-decree has not been cancelled by another sub-decree,” said Siphan, who as of press time said he was still waiting for confirmation as to whether there had been a second prime ministerial order.

Project coordinator for the Cambodian Indigenous Youth Association Ngach Samin was with Kuoy families from Bos Thom as they lodged a complaint over their treatment with UN rights envoy Rhona Smith in Phnom Penh yesterday.

Samin said that prior to reading the three-month-old sub-decree to the families, they had been totally unaware that hectares of land had been returned to their community.

The sub-decree does not provide specific coordinates for the land in question, saying only that it is Bos Thom village, but both Brame commune chief Meach Sarng and provincial spokesman You Yin confirmed that the evicted families had been living in Bos Thom.

However, Provincial Governor Oun Chenda said on Monday that the evictees’ homes were built on land belonging to neighbouring Chheb district authorities. His claim was seconded by Chheb district chief Sok Sordara, who said they were in fact living in M’lou Prey commune’s Porteab village.

“What the commune chief said is not true; we have the law and the GPS . . . We are going to develop a village [in Porteab]” Sordara said, adding that alternative housing would be provided to those displaced.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • Cambodia's poverty cut in half from 2009 to 2019: World Bank report

    A report published by the World Bank on November 28 states that Cambodia’s national poverty rate fell by almost half between 2009 and 2019, but the Covid-19 pandemic recently reversed some of the poverty reduction progress. Cambodia’s poverty rate dropped from 33.8 to 17.8 per cent over the 10