Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court rejects former South Korea envoy's appeal



Supreme Court rejects former South Korea envoy's appeal

The Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected an appeal by Suth Dina, the former ambassador to South Korea, who was sentenced to five years in prison for "abuse of power" and "unlawful exploitation".
Suth Dina (centre), the former ambassador to South Korea, appears on Wednesday at the Supreme Court, which upheld his sentenced of five years in prison for "abuse of power" and "unlawful exploitation". Kim Sarom

Supreme Court rejects former South Korea envoy's appeal

Cambodia’s Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from the disgraced former envoy to South Korea, Suth Dina, effectively upholding his five-year sentence and cutting off further recourse for appeal.

Dina was arrested in April 2016 after the Anti-Corruption Unit alleged he accumulated $3 million in three years, and was also in possession of 12.7 kilograms of gold and 500 gems. The ACU also alleged he owned 10 huge plots of land and two villas.

Dina was convicted of “abuse of power” and “unlawful exploitation” in December 2016. He was sentenced to five years in prison and ordered to pay a fine of $2,500, during a trial that made no mention of the gems, gold and cash.

Dina sought to have his convictions overturned by the Appeal Court, but in August last year the court said Dina had not submitted a document to allow his two Appeal Court lawyers, Ang Udom and Ouk Phalla, to represent him and subsequently rejected his appeal filing.

Dina’s Supreme Court lawyers, Kim Mengkhy and Oa Piseth, challenged the ruling as an administrative error at the Supreme Court in a hearing on March 7, during which they also made a request for Dina to receive medical treatment.

Supreme Court presiding Judge Kim Sathavy, however, said that the Appeal Court had acted correctly and that since Dina had not filed a letter authorising his two lawyers to appeal on his behalf, proceeding with the hearing would be “wrong according to legal procedure”.

“The Supreme Court also sees it like that and would like to announce we uphold the verdict of Appeal Court,” said Judge Sathavy, making no mention of Dina’s request for medical treatment.

While Dina’s Supreme Court lawyers could not be reached for comment, three independent lawyers said the decision effectively meant Dina’s five-year sentence would be upheld and he had lost his right to appeal, despite neither the Appeal Court nor the Supreme Court hearing the facts of his case.

Lawyers Sok Sam Ouen, Lor Kimgech and Yung Phanith said convicted persons only had a one-month window to appeal their sentence, meaning Dina would have had to file his appeal by January 2017.

The Appeal Court found Dina had not correctly followed procedure and therefore rejected his appeal in August – months after the window for lodging an appeal had closed.

Phanith added that Dina could request the Supreme Court to re-investigate the case on the condition he provides new evidence, but that he would more likely find success by asking for a pardon from the King after serving two-thirds of his sentence.

Additional reporting by Erin Handley

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants