Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court upholds Kim Sok’s incitement verdict



Supreme Court upholds Kim Sok’s incitement verdict

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Political analyst Kim Sok is escorted by officials to his bail hearing in Phnom Penh last July. Sok, accused of saying that the CPP was responsible for the murder of fellow analyst Kem Sokha, on Friday, saw his incitement conviction upheld. Pha Lina

Supreme Court upholds Kim Sok’s incitement verdict

The Supreme Court upheld a conviction on Friday against political analyst Kim Sok, who was sentenced to 18 months jail for claiming that the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) was behind the 2016 murder of well-known commentator, Kem Ley, according to the prosecuting lawyer.

Ky Tech, the CPP’s legal representative said after a hearing on Sunday, the Supreme Court made its decision to uphold the lower court’s decision which sentenced Kim Sok to 18 months and slapped him with a million riel [about $2,000] fine, in addition to 800 million riel [around $200,000] compensation he must pay to the CPP.

Sok was convicted in August last year for “incitement to commit a felony” and defamation for his claim, broadcast on Radio Free Asia (RFA), that the prime minister’s party was behind Ley’s assassination.

“But after doing those things, killing and other things, [they] finally killed Kem Ley, but people still stand up. So the last approach is using the legal way … the intention is not only on Sam Rainsy … their goal was to destroy the CNRP,” Sok said on RFA.

Sok’s defence lawyer, Choung Chou Ngy, said his client will complete his jail time in August, which was met with a response by Tech that the convicted would still have to pay compensation in full.

“Now, we don’t have to wait another month because the Supreme Court ruling is already in effect. We the complainant can request for enforcement of the decision in order to get the compensation,” Tech said.

Sok still faces an additional complaint filed by Tech for a second speech on RFA, stemming from his attempt to clarify remarks he initially made. Tech said the second case was still in the hands of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial