Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suspected shooter surrenders



Suspected shooter surrenders

Touch Bopheap, turned himself in to military police for allegedly going on a shooting free outside the offices of the Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia.
Touch Bopheap, turned himself in to military police for allegedly going on a shooting free outside the offices of the Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia. Facebook

Suspected shooter surrenders

The man who allegedly fired 10 shots into the air near the offices of the Union of Journalist Federations of Cambodia last week was a Military Police official and yesterday turned himself in to the Phnom Penh Military Police yesterday, an official said yesterday, despite being ordered to surrender to district police.

The suspect, Touch Bopheap, 35, was previously an officer at the municipal police’s Minor Crimes Department, but he transferred to the Military Police, said Deputy Municipal Police Chief Song Ly.

“He switched a long time ago, perhaps after 2010, to the Ministry of Defence,” Ly said, declining to comment further on the matter. “Please ask the Military Police who are questioning him.”

Military Police officials yesterday declined to comment.

Phnom Penh Court Prosecutor Sieng Sok on Wednes-day issued a summons order-ing Bopheap to turn himself in to the Daun Penh District Police for questioning over illegal gun possession and unlawful shooting. Bopheap, however, turned up at the Military Police headquarters instead.

The motive of the shooting is still unclear.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants