To the editor,
I am writing in response to your article "The friendliest
little guest house in town" (Feb 24 - March 9, 1995) about the burning down of
Maly Chenda's in Sihanoukville.
The fire, we believe, was not started by
a faulty generator.
A moto-taxi driver reported later the next day that
he had seen a person running from the house just prior to the fire
The fire started in a bedroom that was a) unoccupied and b)
had not electrics, save for a fan. It is difficult to imagine how the fire
began, other than by foul means.
The burn marks on the concrete pad where
the bedroom was - as could be seen during the clean-up the next day - were quite
different from the burn marks of the rest of the house.
The fire was, to
say the least, suspicious.
Also, Maly Chenda's is open for
The building that burnt down on Feb 12 was the waterfront
restaurant, near where the owner, my sister and her family, lived.
Chenda's guesthouse is located further up the road near the Post Office and is
welcoming to and open for business.
- Touch Som Phear, Narin Guesthouse, St 125, House 50, Phnom Penh.