Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

The three young women wounded in last month’s factory shooting in Svay Rieng province will meet with provincial prosecutor Hing Bunchea today to give their account of the February 20 incident that has yet to produce an arrest warrant.

Bun Chinda, 21, Nuth Sokhorn, 23, and Keo Nea, 18, were due in court yesterday, but their meeting was delayed after being told the provincial prosecutor was busy.

“I was busy at a drug congress so … they agreed to come on Thursday,” Hing Bunchea said yesterday. “It is about their complaint against Chhouk Bandith.”

Chhouk Bandith, the former Bavet town governor and sole suspect in the case, was himself questioned about the shooting on Thursday, March 12.

Following that meeting, Hing Bunchea told the Post that Chhouk Bandith had “confessed”, though his recounting of events varied in different publications Asked yesterday how or when he planned to take action against Chhouk Bandith, he declined comment.

However, workers and families contacted by the Post said  they still fear for their safety knowing Chhouk Bandith is free.

“My wife and I are worried about our safety, because I am afraid that the suspect will take revenge for filing a complaint against him,” said Sin Sam Oun, the 26-year-old husband of Nuth Sokhorn.

Shooting victim Bun Chinda, who was shot through the chest by a bullet that narrowly missed her heart, said: “I am poor and he is powerful, so now there is the court to find justice for me. I want him arrested.”

On March 7, Bun Chinda was visited by municipal officials who offered her a choice of US$1,000 or a motorbike in return for her silence, her brother and a deputy village chief in Bavet told the Post at the time.

Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Centre, said that the lack of an arrest in such a high-profile case could prove detrimental to the nation’s garment industry.

“It is a big issue and concern if the gunman is not arrested. If it is not solved, [international brands] will step back [from investing here],” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman