Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svay Rieng victims called back to court

Svay Rieng victims called back to court

Svay Rieng victims called back to court

Svay Rieng Provincial Court has summonsed the three female workers wounded during a protest at Kao Ve Garment Factory in Manhattan Special Economic Zone for one more round of questioning before the case against the former Bavet city governor is sent for trial.

Bich Chhoeut, the provincial investigating judge, said the court had issued an order for the women to appear for final questioning on July 20 before the charges of “unintentional wounding” against Chhouk Bandith go before the judge.

“The previous [questioning] was the prosecutor’s primary investigation, but this is a survey of the investigating judge,” he said, explaining the rationale for the women being summonsed a second time.

The three workers were injured when Bandith allegedly shot his gun into the crowd of 6,000 protesting garment workers in February.

Buth Chenda, 21, Koe Nea,18, and Nuth Sakhorn, 23, filed complaints against Bandith, each demanding US$45,000 in compensation.

Chenda, who was shot through the chest, said that she is still concerned for her safety as the former governor has been released on bail and the court was continuing to delay taking the case to trial.

Chan Soveth, investigator for rights group Adhoc, said he was concerned witnesses will be too intimidated to provide sufficient evidence for a conviction.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • China-Cambodia tourism forum held

    The Cambodian tourism sector must be prepared to welcome a growing number of Chinese tourists, as they lead the globe in the number of outbound travellers and were responsible for the most visitors to the Kingdom last year, the country’s tourism minister said on