Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - S'ville casino probed over alleged confinement amid Covid outbreak

S'ville casino probed over alleged confinement amid Covid outbreak

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Century Hotel and Casino in Sihanoukville. FACEBOOK

S'ville casino probed over alleged confinement amid Covid outbreak

Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities will investigate allegations that 400 staff members at the Century Hotel and Casino in Sihanoukville were confined and forced to work although the establishment had a recent outbreak of Covid-19.

In a press statement, the provincial administration said if this was true, it would take legal action against the casino.

The investigation comes after a Facebook user with account name Doung Chan Sreypov went live along with four other colleagues on September 30 claiming that staff were confined and forced to work after an outbreak of Covid-19 in the casino.

The provincial administration has recently said it will prosecute owners of any hotels and casinos involved in confining and forcing people to work, or if they are involved in human trafficking under the cover of employment.

In the press statement in response to the allegations, it clarified that a quick reaction team from the provincial health department went to the Century casino and took samples from staff and found that many were positive for the disease.

It said authorities had since then used the casino as a quarantine and treatment centre for staff because it met the requirements. Authorities also gave the casino staff the option of receiving treatment at hospitals.

It said the Covid-19-positive casino employees had been well treated by medical personnel and given four meals per day by the casino owner.

It noted that there was one patient who was not well, vomited and was dehydrated and later died after being admitted to hospital with doctors confirming she suffered from food poisoning and dehydration.

The provincial administration rejected the accusation by Chan Sreypov who claimed that five people had tested positive and were denied treatment, though it would continue investigation.

Provincial hall spokesman Kheang Phearom told The Post on October 2 that all of the employees were receiving ongoing treatment at the casino.

According to the staff, the casino is owned by a Chinese man. It currently employs 400 people, including Chinese nationals.

MOST VIEWED

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a

  • Thai Senate delegates in Cambodia to discuss anti-graft co-op

    A delegation from Thailand's Senate was in Phnom Penh on September 28 to meet their Cambodian counterparts to discuss strategies for fighting corruption and enhancing cooperation. The Thai delegates were from its Senate’s Committee on Studying and Inspecting Corruption, Misconduct and Strengthening Good Governance. They