Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Swiss pedophile gets five years

Swiss pedophile gets five years

Swiss pedophile gets five years

120917_06

Swiss pedophile Hugo Stephan Leuthold escorted by security personnel at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this month. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Swiss national Hugo Leuthold, 81, was sentenced to five years in prison on Friday by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and will subsequently be deported after being convicted of soliciting sex from a 13-year-old boy.

Dun Vibol, lawyer for the octogenarian pedophile, said his client would appeal against the decision because the charges were too severe for a man of his age.

“[Leuthold] will go to the Appeal Court because he cannot accept the five years of imprisonment, a period which an elderly person cannot bear,” Vibol said, adding that Leuthold “did not commit pedophilia”.

This is the second time he has been convicted of crimes related to sexual abuse in Cambodia, according to Action Pour les Enfants (APLE).

He was arrested on Christmas Day, 2010 in Sihanoukville and later sentenced to 24 months in prison for sexually abusing four boys between the ages of 11 and 13, according to the child protection NGO. He was released after serving 10 months.

“This is a message for people who want to [commit pedophilia] in Cambodia,” APLE information officer Khoem Vando said.

Leuthold was arrested on March 11 while staying with the victim at a hotel in Phnom Penh, APLE said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial