Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Switzerland will donate $6M



Switzerland will donate $6M

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Swiss Ambassador to Cambodia Helene Budliger Artieda (left) and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn. ministry of foreign affairs and international cooperation

Switzerland will donate $6M

Switzerland will donate $6 million to support demining work in Cambodia and clear all mines in the country by 2025, its ambassador announced on Wednesday.

During a meeting with Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn, Swiss Ambassador to Cambodia Helene Budliger Artieda said Switzerland will be making a large financial contribution to support the government’s efforts to rid the country of mines by 2025.

“From 2016 to 2019, Switzerland provided $3,450,000 for demining,” ministry spokesman Koy Kuong told reporters after the meeting.

“Switzerland will continue to help the sector with an additional $6 million to be disbursed from 2020 to 2025, the year that the government aims to have all mines in the country cleared,” Kuong said.

He said that at the meeting, Budliger Artieda said Switzerland places great importance on the development of the health sector in Cambodia, particularly as it relates to children’s wellbeing.

She noted that the Swiss government has supported the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital since 1994. From 1994 to 2018, Switzerland donated about $60 million to the hospital.

Budliger Artieda said Switzerland continues to support the hospital to this day.

Sokhonn thanked Switzerland for its contribution to the development of the Kingdom, particularly to its health sector.

He said that, like Switzerland, the Cambodian government has always worked hard to enable the operation of the hospital and allow it to expand its services.

The government, he said, donates $10 million a year to the hospital. It also gives about $5 million a year to the Kantha Bopha Foundation and $1 million to the Cambodian Red Cross.

Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) director-general Heng Ratana welcomed the news.

“Switzerland previously provided aid to CMAC through the UN Development Programme. But now it doesn’t provide aid under this programme. Perhaps, Switzerland is now donating through a different organisation,” he said.

In a report released in December, CMAC said it found and destroyed more than 36,000 mines and unexploded ordnance on nearly 6,700ha last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting