Two more deaths and several more casualties were reported yesterday stemming from the same case of poisoned dog meat that already killed three and caused serious illness in more than 30 people in Kratie province.
The tainted carcass was first eaten by 76-year-old Chea Reth, who found it on Sunday morning and died the same evening. Unaware of the cause of death, dozens more locals consumed the meat at his funeral on Monday, leading to two more deaths and dozens of hospitalisations.
A report by Snoul district police stated that as of yesterday evening, two more men – Lin Chheang and Im Sereiboth – had died as a result, with an additional seven people sent for treatment at the provincial hospital.
District police chief Chan Sokim reported that symptoms included severe vomiting among those who consumed the meat. The results of a forensic diagnosis have not been finalised and the police have yet to identify who poisoned the dog.
Thai Lithun, Snoul commune police chief, said that local authorities are now issuing loudspeaker announcements calling on anyone who ate the meat to come forward for free medical care.
“I do not know how many people ate the meat. After the announcement yesterday, another four people came asking for treatment,” he explained.