Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Takeo garment workers protest at Ministry of Labour

Takeo garment workers protest at Ministry of Labour

Workers from a garment factory in Takeo province hold placards during a protest yesterday at the Ministry of Labour in Phnom Penh.
Workers from a garment factory in Takeo province hold placards during a protest yesterday at the Ministry of Labour in Phnom Penh. Vireak Mai

Takeo garment workers protest at Ministry of Labour

More than 300 garment workers from Takeo province protested in front of the Ministry of Labour yesterday, following two weeks of strikes over working conditions.

Workers requested intervention from the ministry over the dismissal of 1,000 striking workers as well as 13 demands including lunch money, a transportation allowance and conforming to wage laws.

According to Collective Union of Movement of Workers director Pav Sina, demands are being ignored on all sides and a court warrant ordering the workers to stop striking and a subsequent warrant permitting the dismissal of striking workers has only caused the protest to grow.

“They [the employers] did not solve it in time until the court issued the warrant . . . which caused many workers to lose their jobs, and that served as the motivation for the boss to not pay attention in solving the problem or responding to the worker’s demands,” Sina said.

An official at the Labour Ministry’s Conflict Department, Vong Sovann, said that the ministry hopes to have the dispute resolved by today.

“The ministry will put more effort to negotiate outside the court system,” he said.

Hong Seng Textile and Yuan Da Rong Fong, the two Chinese-owned factories in Donkeo town that employ the workers, are registered separately but share a representative and – the union says – ownership.

The factories’ representative could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four