Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Takeo governor transferred to ministry, deputy promoted

Takeo governor transferred to ministry, deputy promoted

Former Takeo Provincial Governor Lay Vannak, who was removed from his position Monday, presides over a meeting on security before last year's commune elections. AKP
Former Takeo Provincial Governor Lay Vannak, who was removed from his position Monday, presides over a meeting on security before last year's commune elections. AKP

Takeo governor transferred to ministry, deputy promoted

Lay Vannak, the governor of Takeo province, was transferred to the Ministry of Interior on Monday in a move that saw his deputy, Ouch Phea, promoted to the top job.

A Royal Decree signed by acting head of state Say Chhum says Vannak will be transferred to work at the ministry’s headquarters. No other details or explanation have been given for the move.

Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak characterised the transfer as a normal course of action for public servants.

“It is not his inheritance that he needs to hold it forever,” Sopheak said. “Public service officials must be swapped.”

He said Vannak’s new role is still unknown, but would be decided by Interior Minister Sar Kheng.

In a statement on Facebook, Vannak mourned his departure but also did not give an explanation.

“Though I am swapped to another place, my heart is here in Takeo province with the people,” Vannak said. “I still miss, respect and love the officials, colleagues, armed forces and people in Takeo province! Takeo province is the province that I love as my life.”

Updates to follow

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will