Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tbong Khmum to crack down on illegal Vietnam border checkpoints



Tbong Khmum to crack down on illegal Vietnam border checkpoints

Officials inspect a load of timber in Tbong Khmum province in 2017. Photo supplied
Officials inspect a load of timber in Tbong Khmum province in 2017. Photo supplied

Tbong Khmum to crack down on illegal Vietnam border checkpoints

Tbong Khmum provincial officials have announced a crackdown on illegal checkpoints along the Vietnamese border, possibly in response to a purported warning issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen to provincial Governor Ly Leng to monitor the transport of timber in the province.

Local media reports contend that the prime minister singled out party officials during a three-day Cambodian People’s Party congress over the weekend, including Governor Leng for failing to curb illegal timber transport, who was given a week to make changes or face termination.

Yesterday, Deputy Governor Pen Kosal confirmed that authorities will crack down on illegal border checkpoints but claimed the order was from a Ministry of Interior directive from earlier this month.

“We did not create the checkpoints. It is not permitted by law. But sometimes, it is the village checkpoint which they [people] use for visiting the neighbouring villages [in Vietnam],” he said.

Kosal claimed authorities had been unaware of the checkpoints beforehand and did not comment on whether they were being used to transport timber across the border. Leng did not respond to requests for comment, but told Fresh News that authorities would tackle the illegal timber trade across the border, as well as illegal checkpoints.

CPP spokesman Sok Eysan acknowledged that the premier had asked party officials to more effectively deal with their responsibilities, but said details of such instructions were private. Adhoc’s Pen Bonnar said

he had personally witnessed the illegal checkpoints in the province and said any effort to shut them down was merely lip service.

“They are just doing it to look good. The more serious the warning, the [faster] the loss of forest is,” Bonnar said yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting