Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tea Banh attacks US, says troops prepared



Tea Banh attacks US, says troops prepared

Defence Minister Tea Banh speaks to officials on Monday at the Defence Ministry in Phnom Penh.
Defence Minister Tea Banh speaks to officials on Monday at the Defence Ministry in Phnom Penh. Facebook

Tea Banh attacks US, says troops prepared

Defence Minister Tea Banh yesterday portrayed his forces as prepared for a David-and-Goliath-style showdown with the US, which he blamed for sowing unrest around the world, and whose purported “colour revolution” in the Kingdom he vowed to quash.

The comments doubled down on the ongoing government broadside against the US for allegedly helping opposition leader Kem Sokha attempt to topple the government – an accusation seemingly based on a 2013 video in which Sokha describes receiving advice from the US, and for which the CNRP president is currently jailed on widely condemned charges of “treason”.

Speaking at a meeting with senior military officials, Banh said the US – which he referred to as “the superpower” – had attempted to cause unrest in countries unfavourable to it under the guise of being “the father of democracy”, as it had with the purported Sokha treason plot.

“They just take the chance to organise those plans, and they have organised it for a long time,” he said. “We need to prepare to face the future challenge, because it will come. We cannot forget their ambitions.”

He said it was the US’s foreign policy to cause turmoil in countries for its own benefit, pointing to its interference during the Khmer Rouge era and the ensuing decades of civil war. Citing what he characterised as widespread bafflement over Sokha’s arrest and Hun Sen’s apparent antagonism towards the US, he said the premier had been able to take the extreme measure only because Cambodia was able to fight back and would not be cowed.

“I dare to say this, and we dare to arrest the opposition leader, so we will not step back, but we only will step forward,” he said. “They put sanctions on us in the 1980s until we lost flesh and blood. But we will face it.”

Banh’s comments were not his first provocative remarks – before the June commune elections he vowed to “smash the teeth” of would-be opposition protesters – and came in the midst of a sustained effort by government officials to publicly justify the arrest of Sokha and attack the US.

Defence Ministry spokesman Chhum Socheat yesterday backed up his superior, saying that no efforts would be spared to ensure internal security, but said the minister’s comments on “future challenges” did not refer to military actions.

“We will not allow them to use people or forces to destroy the happiness of people,” he said. “[But] we have no capacity to go to war with the US.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said

  • More than 5K workers rush from Thailand amid outbreak

    Following the recent outbreak of Covid-19 in Thailand’s Samut Sakhon province, Cambodian migrants working in Thailand were gripped by worry over the situation and many rushed to return to their homeland. Over the past 10 days, more than 5,000 migrant workers have returned from Thailand through