Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Teacher told to ‘prepare’ after ACU interrogation

Teacher told to ‘prepare’ after ACU interrogation

Exam supervisors search students outside Phnom Penh's Sisowath High School before the start of the Grade 12 national exam last month.
Exam supervisors search students outside Phnom Penh's Sisowath High School before the start of the Grade 12 national exam last month. Pha Lina

Teacher told to ‘prepare’ after ACU interrogation

One of the teachers questioned by the Anti-Corruption Unit over “irregularities” during last month’s high-stakes Grade-12 national exam yesterday said she had been told to “get ready” for a court date.

Chaing Changhourt, who teaches at Phnom Penh’s Hun Sen Bun Rany Phsar Doeum Thkov High School, was one of two teachers and two Ministry of Education officials questioned on Monday.

“I’m innocent,” said Changhourt, who was questioned for two hours. “The ACU told me to get myself ready when the court calls . . . They have asked me to prepare evidence to defend myself.”

However, Changhourt is not entirely clear as to what allegations would be forwarded to court. Although the ACU claimed she had been “physically hitting ACU staff”, Changhourt maintained that an ACU staff member was taking pictures of students during the exam, and she asked the individual to stop because it would “disrupt” the students.

The confrontation had led to an argument, she said.

ACU President Om Yentieng could not be reached yesterday, but would not say on Monday what further action, if any, the unit will take against those who were questioned.

Ouk Chayavy, acting president of the Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association – which Changhourt consulted before appearing at the ACU – said she didn’t believe Changhourt’s case would be criminal.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will