Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Teen accused in rape of 3-year-old



Teen accused in rape of 3-year-old

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Teen accused in rape of 3-year-old

A 14-year-old boy was arrested late last week after he used a smartphone game to lure his 3-year-old neighbour away in order to allegedly rape her in Takeo’s Prey Kabbas district, police said yesterday.

Takeo Provincial Court spokesman Phan Sopheak said the teenager was charged on Friday afternoon and sent to pre-trial detention the following day. “He was charged with rape, but the judge will decide during the hearing whether to include rape with aggravating circumstances. As he is under 18, he may get a sentence reduction, but that will be decided by the court,” he said.

Chum Chhoeun, chief of Prey Kabbas district police, said the perpetrator confessed to raping the victim twice – although the girl said the abuse occurred five times – on Thursday afternoon in a neighbour’s manger.

“The suspect had a mobile phone and he played a kind of fruit game. The girl wanted to see the game and followed him,” Chhoeun said. “After the first rape, the girl followed him again, wanting to see the game. Then the suspect raped her the second time . . . Before they separated, the boy said ‘if you tell others, I will beat you’.”

Police were notified after the girl’s aunt and uncle – with whom she lives – noticed she was wounded.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma