Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Teens tried on drug charges in city court

Teens tried on drug charges in city court

Teens tried on drug charges in city court

Six local youths, including two 15-year-old girls, were tried yesterday on drug-related charges at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

Four male defendants, whose ages range from 17 to 20, each faced one charge of drug possession and one charge of drug trafficking, while the two girls were charged with drug possession. All were arrested on February 24 and charged by the court on March 3.

Two of the male teens were arrested about 5:30pm on a road near Sunthor Mok High School in Tuol Kork district, presiding judge Kor Vandy said, adding that they had been carrying 50 methamphetamine pills.

After their arrest, the pair provided police with information that led to the arrests of the other four youths three hours later at a guesthouse in Meanchey district’s Prek Pra commune.  

There, police found 10 methamphetamine pills as well as drug paraphernalia, he said.  Municipal court deputy prosecutor Keu Bonnara said all six had dropped out of high school because of their drug use.

Keu Bonnara reminded the court that the six had broken the law and posed a threat to social order, but he also called for lenient sentences, telling the court that the defendants had admitted their wrong-doing and had promised to quit using drugs and return to school.

The six youths also asked for leniency, telling the judge that they wanted to return to high school. Their verdicts are due on August 8.

Earlier this month, Prime Minister Hun Sen approved the Kingdom’s controversial draft drug law, which expands on the legislation for drug offences.

Rights groups have raised concern about provisions in the law that allow for the involuntary detention of drug users for up to two years.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the