Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ten Kampong Speu mining companies allowed to resume operations



Ten Kampong Speu mining companies allowed to resume operations

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 10 mining companies in Kampong Speu have been permitted to resume operations. Ministry of Mines and Energy via FACEBOOK

Ten Kampong Speu mining companies allowed to resume operations

Some 10 of the 90 Kampong Speu province mining companies ordered to stop have been permitted to resume operations after meeting guidelines laid out by authorities, a Ministry of Mines and Energy official told The Post on Tuesday.

The firms were earlier ordered to cease work for a week for failing to repair roads that their vehicles had damaged, as well failing to water roads to keep dust down and improve technical procedures.

Yos Monirath, director-general of the General Department of Mineral Resources at the Ministry of Mines and Energy, said most of the remaining companies were trying to fulfil the requirements, while some had entirely ignored them.

The ministry and relevant officials would further monitor firms that did not follow the guidelines and would revoke their licences if they continued to not meet standards, he said.

“The cessation of operations for one week occurred between March 11 and 18, but some mining companies had been abiding by the guidelines so they were allowed to operate within those dates,” Monirath said.

He added that the ministry and relevant officials would further monitor the activities of all companies to ensure they followed the law and reduced the impact of their operations on local people and the environment.

Kampong Speu provincial governor Vei Samnang told The Post on Tuesday that during the week of ceased operations, many mining companies across the province had worked hard to meet the guidelines.

More than 10 mining companies had successfully improved operating standards and had been permitted to operate again. Those that failed to meet standards had been frequently visited by officials.

Some firms had repaired roads their lorries had damaged, as well as watered roads and gravel loads to keep dust down, but were yet to meet the standards. Those that did not meet standards had not yet received permission to resume operating.

“Regarding the few companies that have not followed the guidelines, the ministry will inspect their operations again, and if any irregularities are found, they will have their licence revoked and their business will be shut down entirely,” Samnang said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese