Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tep Vanny back in court after release



Tep Vanny back in court after release

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Land activist Tep Vanny spoke to the presses in front of the court on Friday. Heng Chivoan

Tep Vanny back in court after release

Just four days after stepping out of Prey Sar prison thanks to a royal pardon, land activist Tep Vanny was back in court on Friday facing a charge related to a six-year-old case filed by a fellow Boeung Kak resident.

Vanny and five others received six-month suspended sentences over a ‘death threat’ complaint filed by Boeung Kak resident Ly Mom back in 2012.

Mon claimed that Vanny, Heng Mom, Chheng Leap, Kong Chantha, Tol Sreypov and Nget Khun, made death threats and insulted her.

Municipal Judge Bun Thy, however, dropped the insult charge.

Vanny was released from Prey Sar prison last Monday after obtaining a pardon from King Norodom Sihamoni following a request from Prime Minister-designate Hun Sen.

She had been in jail for more than two years of a 30-month sentence after being convicted for her role in the violent 2013 protest near the prime minister’s residence.

Vanny said she would file a complaint with the appeal court against the verdict, which she said was unjust.

“The judge dropped the public insult charge, but he handed the six of us six-month terms on the death threat charge with all sentences suspended.

“We will file a complaint with the appeal court against the decision to prove our innocence, and show that we did not do [what Mon alleged],” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting