Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Terrorist gets 18 years

Terrorist gets 18 years

Terrorist gets 18 years

PHNOM Penh Municipal court has sentenced Som Ek, the alleged leader of an antigovernment group known as the Tiger Head Movement, to 18 years in prison after finding him guilty of involvement in a failed bomb plot targeting the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument in July 2007.

Som Ek, 44, was arrested in January 2009 after he was accused of planting explosives outside the Ministry of Defence and the state television station TV3 that month.

In that case -- which is also being processed by the court -- he has been charged with delivering, placing, discharging or detonating explosives in a public place and recruiting and training terrorists for the movement, also known as the Khmer National Unity Front.

His alleged role in the 2007 plot led to charges of serving as an accomplice to terrorism and placing an explosive device.

Presiding judge Suos Sam Ath said that the 18-year sentence would be reduced to 16 years and six months because Som Ek’s pretrial detention period had exceeded the legal limit.

“Based on notes and evidence organised by judicial police officials, and conclusions from the court prosecutor and defence lawyer, we determined that Som Ek is the leader of the Tiger Head Movement and the mastermind behind the bomb plot at the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument,” Suos Sam Ath told the court.

He added: “Although the explosion did not injure anyone, it caused public disorder and political instability.”

Speaking to reporters after the verdict was read out, Som Ek said the length of the sentence was “unjust”, citing the July verdict and sentence handed down to Khmer Rouge prison chief Kaing Geuk Eav, alias Duch. The former commandant of Tuol Sleng prison was sentenced to 30 years behind bars, and will serve no more than 19 with time served factored in.

More verdicts to come
The conviction does not spell the end of court appearances for Som Ek, who still faces a litany of charges related to his alleged role in the Tiger Head Movement.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court is expected to hand down a verdict on October 1 against Som Ek and four others – Loeuk Bunhean, Phy Savoeung, Pov Vannara and Chea Kimyan – suspected of organising the failed January 2009 bomb plot. ...read the full story in tomorrow’s Phnom Penh Post or see the updated story in online from 3PM UTC/GMT +7 hours.

MOST VIEWED

  • Tragedy as four lions devour teenager in Pakistan safari park

    In a horrifying incident at an animal park in the Pakistani city of Lahore, four lions killed a 17-year-old grass reaper. However, how Muhammad Bilal Hussain managed to get near the lions was yet to be ascertained. Safari officials said Hussain climbed a 3.7m high

  • Hun Sen asks Cambodians to believe in government

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday asked citizens and investors to trust that the government will overcome the challenges brought about by Covid-19 and the loss of the EU’s Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme. Speaking to reporters at the Peace Palace in Phnom Penh,

  • Gloom hits Siem Reap tourism

    As the Kingdom’s overall tourism sector continued to grow last year, industry insiders in Siem Reap have expressed their deep concerns, citing a sharp drop in Chinese arrivals to the province beginning late last month. Cambodia earned $4.91 billion in international tourism revenue last year,

  • Westerdam passenger ‘never had’ Covid-19

    The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the US citizen that allegedly tested positive in Malaysia after travelling on the Westerdam was never infected with Covid-19 in the first place. In an article published in the newspaper USA Today on Friday, CDC

  • ‘Ghost staff’ found, $1.7M returned to state coffers

    The Ministry of Civil Service said more than seven billion riel ($1.7 million) in salaries for civil servants was returned to the state last year after it discovered that the books had been cooked to pay ‘ghost officials’. This is despite claims by the Ministry of

  • Woman wanted for killing own son

    Police in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district are on the lookout for a woman who allegedly hacked her son to death on Sunday in Stung Meanchey III commune. District police chief Meng Vimeandara identified the son as Chan Sokhom, 32. “The offender can’t escape forever.