Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thai arrest in smuggling case



Thai arrest in smuggling case

Thai authorities inspect mortar launchers smuggled from Cambodia last month
Thai authorities inspect mortar launchers smuggled from Cambodia last month. Photo supplied

Thai arrest in smuggling case

Thai authorities have arrested another man in connection with a shipment of weapons allegedly sold by a Cambodian deminer, according to Thai media reports.

According to the outlet Manager Online, Thai police arrested Phirom Reuourt Chanopat, 50, following the issuance of an arrest warrant on July 25.

The Thai national was arrested in Mae Hong Son province on Thailand’s border with Myanmar, where police last month arrested another man who they accused of ordering the weapons, which included three mortar tubes.

The cache was discovered on July 18 in Thailand’s Sa Kaeo province, which borders Cambodia’s Banteay Meanchey province, when Thai police arrested five Thai nationals, who reportedly confessed they bought the weapons from Cambodia.

Subsequent investigation by Cambodian authorities led to the arrest of three men including a staff member of the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) and two farmers.

The CMAC employee is alleged to have found the cache of old weapons while clearing ordnance and engaged the farmers, who are brothers-in-law, to broker a deal with the Thai smugglers.

The Royal Thai Police’s spokesman was unreachable yesterday, but according to the Manager Online, Phirom has been charged in relation with ordering the seized weapons, as well as two previous shipments.

The outlet reported that Phirom confessed to receiving $150 for each shipment for his alleged role in the operation.

Cambodia’s police have charged the three men detained with weapons trafficking and are hunting for four more who are believed to have helped transport them across the border.

Reached yesterday, Banteay Meanchey Deputy Provincial Police Chief Sith Los said police continued to search for the suspects.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said