Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thai riot suspects cleared

Thai riot suspects cleared

Thai riot suspects cleared

THE first two defendants to stand trial for crimes connected to the anti-Thai riots were released after a brief trial at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on June 19.

Judge Hing Thirith found both the defendants, In Bun Thoeun and Om Sokh Kheng, innocent. The men were accused of stealing three cases of intravenous bottles from the Royal Phnom Penh Hotel resort on January 30. The hotel was burned to the ground during the January 29 riots.

The lawyer for the defendants, who were not present at the trial, read a statement asserting that the pair were given the objects from the looted hotel. The lawyer added that his clients had agreed to return the items.

However, four months after the riots, at least 58 of those arrested have not been tried. Court observers said 39 suspects were out on bail, while another 19 were in jail awaiting trial. The law stipulates that the suspects must be tried within six months or released.

Human rights groups have questioned the treatment of those arrested after the January 29 riots.

"Our concern is whether or not the courts have evidence on these people," said Naly Pilorge, director of human rights group Licadho, which monitored the trial. "We're pleased the court made this decision considering the lack of evidence, but we hope the courts ensure that the others are promptly tried."

Most suspects have been charged with crimes such as robbery, destruction of public property, or demonstrating illegally. Municipal Judge Tan Senarong told the Post that those infractions normally carried relatively light jail sentences of less than one year.

However, he added, four incarcerated suspects were accused of inciting violence, which could carry jail sentences ranging from five years to life, depending on the severity of the charges.

There were two high-profile arrests for charges of incitement: Mam Sonando, the founder of the independent radio station, Beehive Radio, and the editor of Rasmei Angkor newspaper, En Chan Sivatha. Their detention by authorities sparked protests that eventually led to their release, although the charges are still pending.

However, the two student activists charged with incitement, Ken Sara, a member of the Democratic Front of Khmer Students and Intellectuals (DFKSI), and Thorn Vessna, are still in jail. Members of student groups said they had been denied access to the two activists.

Mau Meoung Yat, the president of DFKSI, said the government's accusations against Ken were preposterous, and he felt it was unlikely the court would provide a just trial.

"I don't think there will be a fair trial for him, because the government will put the blame on him," he said. "Prime Minister Hun Sen wants to push the blame on to opposition students."

Mau Meoung Yat said the police had blocked all attempts to contact Sara.

The government is under pressure to find those responsible for the riots. It made unconditional commitments to try those responsible for the events of January 29 when it sent out officially accepted Thai demands to bring "justice to the perpetrators and those responsible for the heinous acts".

The controversy has also attracted the attention of King Norodom Sihanouk. He released a letter earlier this year with a rare plea to the government requesting the release of all those imprisoned following the riots. The open letter stated that the detainees were innocent and incapable of planning the night's destruction.

MOST VIEWED

  • Touch: Rainsy will never return

    Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has claimed it has achieved 70 per cent of its struggle to find a solution to the current political situation in the Kingdom. Just before boarding a plane at Charles de Gaulle

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand

  • Sar Kheng: Rainsy return not blocked

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng clarified that Cambodia had never blocked Sam Rainsy from returning to the Kingdom. However, he said Cambodia reserved the right to take legal action as allowed by law against activities aimed at destroying the Kingdom. “No one blocked the return

  • Reports: Rainsy barred from Jakarta flight

    Sam Rainsy was on Wednesday refused entry to a flight from Malaysia to Indonesia, media reported late on Wednesday. The “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party’s announced return to the Kingdom on Independence Day on Saturday failed to occur. Rainsy

  • King Sihamoni presides over opening of Water Festival

    King Norodom Sihamoni presided over the lighting of the lantern barges, representing the many ministries, in front of the Royal Palace on Sunday as the first day of the annual Water Festival celebrations went smoothly. Bun Veasna, an official at the National Committee for Organising

  • Government studying EU’s preliminary report on EBA

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Wednesday said the government was studying the EU Commission’s preliminary report on the human rights situation in the Kingdom that could lead to a suspension of access to its “Everything But Arms” (EBA) agreement. The