Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thailand to extradite UK rape suspect

Thailand to extradite UK rape suspect

Thailand to extradite UK rape suspect

THAILAND has reportedly ordered the extradition of a British man wanted in Cambodia on charges of sexually assaulting two underage girls.

David Fletcher, 65, fled the Kingdom last year after the British tabloid The Sunday Mirror alleged that he was using a charity he had founded, the Rubbish Dump project, to gain access to young girls at the Stung Meanchey dump site in Phnom Penh. He was arrested in Thailand in June on immigration charges, and in August, the Cambodian Government announced that it was filing an extradition request to have Fletcher returned to face charges of raping a minor.

A court in Thailand ordered Fletcher’s extradition on Friday, according to the Bangkok Post. Fletcher reportedly asserted his innocence at the hearing, telling the court that the charges against him in Cambodia had been fabricated because “he had been in conflict with a group of influential people in Phnom Penh since he did not cooperate with them in a money-laundering scam”, the Bangkok Post stated.

Samleang Seila, director of the child rights group Action Pour Les Enfants, said Fletcher was set to stand trial at Phnom Penh Municipal Court on March 31 for allegedly raping two underage girls. Cambodian and Thai officials are still in the process of arranging Fletcher’s return, Samleang Seila said.

Fletcher was also convicted on child sex charges in the United Kingdom in 1997. Following the publication of the Sunday Mirror article last year, he denied the allegations against him and accused the media of exploiting his past.

“I made a mistake of having an affair with a girl a few months under age,” Fletcher said in an email. “The gutter press then as now took it out of context for greater circulation.”

Fletcher added that he had “paid his dues” for his mistakes and denied committing any crimes in Cambodia. “As for using the dump to get access to girls, absolutely not,” he said.

Officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Interior could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • The hairy little heroes saving many lives in rural Cambodia

    IN RURAL Siem Reap province, rats dare to tread where no person will, as these hairy little heroes place their lives on the line each day for the good of the local community. The rodents are the most important members of a special team, leading

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • PM warns EU and opposition on 34th anniversary of his rule

    HUN Sen reached the milestone of 34 years as Cambodian prime minister on Monday and used the groundbreaking ceremony for a new ring road around Phnom Penh to tell the international community that putting sanctions on the Kingdom meant killing the opposition. “Please don’t forget