Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Third arrest from alleged robbery gang

Third arrest from alleged robbery gang

Third arrest from alleged robbery gang

Another alleged member of the gang suspected of being responsible for last month’s shootings of a Japanese tourist and an American expatriate was arrested following a shoot-out on Saturday.

Sok Hok, 28, was apprehended in the capital’s Prampi Makara district. Police said they spotted the suspect walking with a motorbike bearing the licence plate of a vehicle robbed at gunpoint earlier this month. When they tried to apprehend the suspect, he fired at police, who fired back. Eventually he surrendered.

According to police deputy chief Chuon Narin, Sok Hok is a member of the group behind eight robbery-shootings, including of the two foreign nationals.

Sok Hok himself was not involved in the shooting of the foreigners, Narin said.

“He is a partner of the two robbers we have arrested.… We will continue interrogating to find more accomplices,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • China steel company relocates to Cambodia

    Chinese state-owned iron and steel company China Baowu Steel Group Corp Ltd has unveiled plans to relocate its blast furnaces from Xinjiang Autonomous Region in the northwest of China to Cambodia, which will be the first overseas Baowu production plant, a Reuters report on Wednesday

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on