Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Third violator of lèse majesté law arrested




Third violator of lèse majesté law arrested

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ieng Cholsa stands accused of threatening and insulting the King. Fresh news

Third violator of lèse majesté law arrested

A THIRD person has been arrested under the Kingdom’s newly passed lèse majesté law over the weekend for a series of Facebook posts, according to the municipal court prosecutor.

The court official said the suspect faced charges for insulting the King and threatening his life.

“He was charged with insulting the King according to the article which was amended recently, and making a death threat,” Kuch Kimlong, deputy prosecutor of Phnom Penh municipal court told The Post on Sunday.

Anyone insulting the King can be liable to one to five years in jail under Article 437 of the law, while those making death threats can be sentenced to between six months and two-years under Article 233.

The suspect, identified as Ieng Cholsa, was arrested in Boeung Keng Kang II commune in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district on Thursday.

The arrest marked the third time the lèse majesté law has been used after a primary school principal in Kampong Thom province and a barber in Siem Reap province were arrested last month.

Som Sonin, a police officer in the Interior Ministry’s Cybercrime Department, which made the arrest together with provincial police, declined to provide details, saying it had already been submitted to court.

Cholsa’s Facebook account indicated he had made three posts on the night of June 13, all of which insult and threaten the King.

One post showed a 500 riel note with King Norodom Sihamoni’s picture. Another showed a picture of drugs while a third showed a shot of the King and his mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk.

Prak Bunnan, deputy Tbong Khmum provincial police chief in charge of criminal offence, claimed on Sunday that despite the suspect having photos taken at the Memoth District Hall, he was just a visitor there.

“The suspect is not a resident of Tbong Khmum province, he is from Svay Rieng,” Bunnan said.

Koy Sopheap, deputy Svay Rieng police chief in charge of criminal offences, said he did not have information as the case was investigated by the Cybercrime Department.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15