Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thousands still striking at Bavet SEZs

Thousands still striking at Bavet SEZs

Thousands still striking at Bavet SEZs

Factories in three special economic zones (SEZs) remained closed yesterday as unrest over the minimum wage in Svay Rieng province’s Bavet town continued into its third day.

Thousands of workers walked off the job on Wednesday afternoon, after employees unhappy with what they say is an inadequate rise in the national garment industry’s minimum wage, recently set at $140 for 2016, began protesting at the Kingmaker Footwear factory in the Manhattan SEZ.

The unrest, which saw rocks hurled through windows and factory doors broken, soon spread to the nearby Tai Seng 1 and Tai Seng 2 SEZs.

By Thursday, about 30,000 people from 39 factories had stopped work, many joining protests that were characterised as a “riot” by the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, which called for the government to intervene.

Work in the Manhattan zone partially resumed yesterday, with about 10,000 employees clocking in at 10 factories, though Tai Seng 1 and Tai Seng 2, as well as Neak Reach SEZ, remained completely shut, according to Has Bunthy, director of the Svay Rieng provincial labour department.

Authorities yesterday met with unions and urged them to step in, though unions again denied organising the industrial action.

“We want unions to help us convince protestors to return back to work tomorrow. Factories have lost a lot of profit during the protest,” Bunthy said, adding factories in Tai Seng and Manhattan were discussing whether to dock the salaries of workers who left their posts.

Chea Oddom, provincial representative of the Cambodian Union for the Movement of Workers (CUMW), said there was little they could do as unions had largely been kept out of SEZ factories.

“We can only observe the protest,” said Oddom, who met with labour authorities.

“This is the problem when they don’t let many factories at SEZs have unions – the rights of unions are blocked.”

Cambodian Labour Confederation (CLC) provincial coordinator Khut Sokhom, also at the meeting, echoed his remarks.

“What we all need is cooperation from authorities and employers with unions,” he said.

According to Bunthy, four men have been detained over the property damage, though representatives from CUMW, CLC, rights group Licadho

and Bavet deputy police chief Kao Horn, were unaware of any arrests.

GMAC secretary general Ken Loo said only “hundreds” were actually protesting, while thousands were either blocked from returning to work or concerned about their safety.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • Huge 3.5-tonne ivory haul seized in capital

    Working with US officials, Phnom Penh Autonomous Port has uncovered almost 3.5 tonnes of elephant ivory hidden in a container, the US Embassy in Cambodia said on Facebook on Saturday. A tip-off provided to the General Department of Customs and Excise by a US Fish and

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked

  • Assembly passes amendment to Political Party Law Article 45

    The National Assembly on Thursday unanimously approved a proposed amendment to Article 45 of the Law on Political Parties in a move that could pave the way for former senior opposition leaders banned for five years to return to the political stage. As expected, the 115 ruling