Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three Forestry Administration officials summoned over Mondulkiri logging



Three Forestry Administration officials summoned over Mondulkiri logging

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Authorities investigated at the locations of land concessions belonging to two companies in Koh Nhek district. Supplied

Three Forestry Administration officials summoned over Mondulkiri logging

Mondulkiri provincial court prosecutor Hieng Sopheak on Wednesday summoned three Forestry Administration officials to appear at the provincial Military Police headquarters by August 24 for questioning over misconduct and alleged collusion with timber traders.

The summonses come while the National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes awaits the result of its investigation at the locations of land concessions belonging to two companies in Koh Nhek district.

The summonses, issued separately on Wednesday, identified the trio as Hun Vanne, 50, chief of the Royor Forestry Administration; Loeung Phirun, 55, chief of the Sre Sangkum-Nang Khylek Forestry Administration; and Kong Virak, 46, chief of the Koh Nhek Forestry Administration.

“[The officials] are accused of permitting logging against the law, tolerating forestry crimes and failing to report or file a complaint on forestry crimes occurring in areas under their authority in a timely manner."

“[The officials] are also accused of intentional negligence in performing their duties or intentionally providing false information to higher-level authorities, leading to forestry crimes.”

Eng Hy, the national committee spokesman, told The Post on Wednesday that his officials had yet to wrap up their investigation at the locations of Vichary, a Chinese-owned firm, and Nayna, a Cambodian-owned company, in Koh Nhek district’s Royor commune.

“I have not received any results yet because they are still in the forest. We are waiting for our technical forces to finish their operation first,” he said.

Heng Sros, a forest activist in the province, said the two firms had received economic land concessions from the government and had been cutting down trees inside and outside the boundary of their concessions.

Sros alleged that both firms had also bought timber from local villagers while felling trees and transporting them from the Phnom Prich and Sre Pok wildlife sanctuaries before sawing them into pieces of timber for export to Vietnam.

In Koh Nhek district, he claimed, at least six companies are actively felling trees and trading in timber.

“Before the national committee went to inspect the locations, those companies already knew about it. They were tipped off three days beforehand, leaving them enough time to prepare and hide all the contraband."

“By so doing, only a few pieces of timber were discovered by the authorities. So what the authorities could do was write a report,” he said.

Sok Kheang, the director of the provincial Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday, while his deputy Han Sopheak declined to provide details.

“I don’t know the case well, so I dare not talk,” he said.

Keo Omalis, the government delegate in charge of the Forestry Administration under the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

A report published on the National Military Police Facebook page on Wednesday said the National Committee for Prevention and Crackdown on Natural Resource Crimes had, of late, carried out large-scale operations to stamp out forestry crimes in provinces along the borders including Mondulkiri, Ratanakkiri, Kratie and Stung Treng.

The committee had arrested an unspecified number of offenders and destroyed several seized timber vehicles. The committee is also hunting more suspects on court orders.

In Mondulkiri, a high-profile crackdown by the committee led to the arrest of prominent tycoon, Okhna Soeng Sam Ol. He and his alleged accomplices have been placed in pre-trial detention charged with large-scale illegal logging.

As of Wednesday, another 11 suspects including Cambodian and Vietnamese nationals had been either hunted or summoned for questioning in connection with the case.

Most recently, in a separate case, two Vietnamese nationals and three Cambodians were on Monday placed in pre-trial detention charged with illegal logging.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen says Kingdom not a 'satellite country'

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said Cambodia had sent diplomatic notes to various embassies demonstrating its stance and clarifying allegations that the Kingdom is a satellite country of China which will allow it exclusive access to the Ream Naval Base in Preah Sihanouk province. The response

  • Vast Prince Manor fun park opens to much fanfare in Kandal

    Chinese-owned Prince Culture and Development Co Ltd officially launched the $85 million Prince Manor entertainment centre in Kandal province on Wednesday. Prince Manor is located along National Road 1, 20km from the centre of Phnom Penh. It is the first major theme park project in Cambodia and

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • Floods prompt evacuations in Kampong Speu

    Rain-induced floods and water flowing from Kampong Speu province have submerged the houses of 1,527 families living close to the Prek Thnot River in Spean Thma, Tien, Kong Noy and Roluos communes in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district, according to data from local authorities. Spean Thma

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from

  • Cintri strike ends, workers’ contracts to be terminated

    CINTRI (Cambodia) Ltd rubbish collectors who have been on strike for the past 13 days agreed to return to work starting Wednesday evening after the company agreed to terminate their contracts at the end of January next year and provide seniority payments and other benefits to